19 September 2012

VMWare in Fedora 17

I recently had to create a Virtual Machine with Fedora 17. I had to manually install the VMWare Tools, so I ran the script, and I got an error regarding the kernel headers.
The solution to that was upgrading the kernel to the same version as the kernel headers I had. I found it in this thread.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=263717
yum update kernel
reboot
yum install kernel-devel
Now I don't know if the reboot is necessary, and installing the kernel-devel just told me that it is already up to date, so I'm not sure that's necessary either. Anyway, it works, so all is good.
Also, GCC may be missing. Since I use that nayway, I usually just go for installing the whole Development Tools package group.
yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

No comments:

Post a Comment